LITTLE Oakley lost 3-0 at home to FA Vase finalists Romford, writes LARRY DOBKIN.

The Acorns lost out in their final Essex Senior League home game of the season, at the Memorial Ground.

Little Oakley started well, with an early attack seeing Nathan Rowe try a speculative shot from range, but keeper Jake Anderson was well positioned and made the save look easy.

Romford started to get some control in the middle of the park when they gained a corner.

The ball was whipped into the centre of the six-yard area, where Darren Phillips headed wide.

Romford were winning much of the second ball but were unable to make any clear-cut chances.

The game was free flowing and both sides worked hard without working the keepers.

With half-time looming a freakish incident occurred when Sibbons went to clear his lines on the edge the Oakley area but the clearance went towards Hart’s face, where he tried to protect himself by lifting his hand which took the full force of the ball.

Hart was knocked to the floor with a suspected wrist injury and after around ten minutes, was assisted from the pitch and take to the hospital.

Play was restarted and following a long throw, Phillips' looping header to the back post bypassed Billy Lawlor and went in to give Romford the lead.

Romford doubled their lead with practically the final kick of the first half.

Phillips' long hopeful ball upfield fell to Deering, whose speculative shot evaded the Oakley defence and found the corner of the net.

Oakley came out for the second half with much more conviction and should have reduced the deficit when Ed Nobbs' cross was missed by the Romford defence and found hard-working Harman at the back post.

Harman saw the ball late but was unable to get a good contact and could only side-foot the ball onto a post and out of play.

A deep cross into the area then allowed Mann to get a powerful header on target, forcing Anderson into a fine save.

With Oakley pushing Romford for a lifeline, a long clearance from deep inside the visitors' half bounced just outside the Oakley box.

Wood and Lawlor both left the ball to each other, allowing it to fall at the feet of Hassan Nalbant who calmly tapped home to seal Romford's win.

Oakley player of the match was Jack Sibbons - hard-working, a cool head and good on the ball.