HALSTEAD Town were beaten 2-1 at home by FC Clacton in the Essex Senior League, writes KEN GILLIARD.

The Humbugs had an immediate opportunity to avenge the 3-2 defeat inflicted on them by the Seasiders last weekend but were beaten at Milbank Stadium.

Jack Cherry did well to tip away Jake Clowsley's dipping effort and the Halstead keeper was the busier of the keepers.

Clowsley's effort went the wrong side of the upright after he had jinked down the right flank and fired across goal

Halstead had a strong appeal for handball turned down, as the ball seemed to strike a hand as Palmer and Hampson threatened.

But the deadlock was broken on 36 minutes when Halstead went ahead, slightly against the run of play.

After breaking from a Clacton corner, Vogler got away down the left and with him and Morris both free, Vogler coolly slipped the ball to his colleague who calmly slotted home.


Clacton looked to respond and after Halstead failed to clear a cross, Clowsley was wasteful with his effort, firing over when he should have done better.

Mehki McKenzie got behind the home defence and he squared the ball for Billy Wales, but the visitors skipper shot over when well placed as Halstead went in at the break ahead.

Clacton started the second period quickly and Cherry once again palmed away a corner before Halstead were forced into a reshuffle, with defender Matt Coppen going off injured.

Jordan Palmer slotted into the back four and substitute Calvin Poku went upfront.

FC Clacton had a glorious chance to equalise when Wales' effort was blocked by Cherry who was quick off his line, following Reuben Cowler's cross.

However, the Seasiders were level seconds later when Charlie Thompson made no mistake from close range.

Halstead were almost presented with the lead again as visiting keeper Luke Avenall gave the ball away on the edge of his box but Pavett’s curling effort went wide of the far post.


FC Clacton had a penalty shout rejected just after the hour mark when McKenzie got the wrong side of Jack Schelvis but the Seasiders were awarded a spot-kick, soon after.

Clowsley's effort came back off the post and the ball struck a Humbugs hand in the scramble that followed, resulting in a penalty which Clowsley converted.

Cherry made a fantastic one-handed save down at his right-hand post from Jenson Mulqueen’s effort with the outside of his boot and Cowler flashed the rebound wide, although he was flagged offside in the process.

Clowsley then had an audacious overhead which was wide of the mark, as the visitors pressed to extend their lead.

Poku had an effort ruled out for offside and there was another penalty shout rejectd, after McKenzie and Schelvis tangled again.

Substitute Harry Pinkney's effort was saved at the second attempt by Avenall and the final minutes saw the hosts pushing everyone forward in search of an equaliser.

However, Halstead found themselves open at the back and again were thankful to Cherry, who made yet another great block.