HALSTEAD Town claimed a resounding 4-1 win over Hackney Wick in Thurlow Nunn League first division south, writes KEN GILLIARD.

The Humbugs returned to action knowing they needed a victory to get their push for a play off place back on track following two disappointing defeats.

They took to the field with Jack Cherry, Louis O’Sullivan and the returning Calvin Poku in the starting line-up and were up against the Wickers, who were on their fifth visit to the Milbanks.

Hackney Wick had the first sight of goal as Louis Remi got the wrong side of Halstead defence, having just kept onside, but fired wide when well placed.

Play went straight up the other end and Hackney keeper Tyler Richards acrobatically touched over from his own defender, who almost headed home a cross from Jordan Palmer.

Remi was clearly the visitors danger man and on 15 minutes he again got away from his marker, but his final ball just wouldn’t fall for the men in yellow.

Halstead went straight up the other end and Poku almost poked the ball passed Richards, but the keeper got a foot to it and diverted it around the post.

This was quickly followed by Jordan Blackwell’s flicked header beating the keeper but hitting the top of the bar.

Halstead continued to carry a threat and Jordan Pavett turned on the edge off box and struck a superb shot which the keeper saved low at his right hand post, turning it for a corner.

Wickers continued to carry a threat but Dante McIntosh was wild with his effort when in space and up the other end Blackwell’s fantastic run and cross found Carter, but his touch wasn’t strong enough to find the net.

The deadlock was broken on 26 minutes as Matt Travell picked up the ball 25 yards out and on the half-volley smashed a ball into the bottom right corner which Richards could do nothing about.

The game remained end to end but was devoid of real chances until Blackwell almost benefited from a poor clearance by Richards as Poku picked up the ball and played him in- but his effort was off target.

Hackney managed to break the Halstead back line, but the referee pulled them back for a head injury much to the visitor’s annoyance.

This was the last action of a decent first half and the hosts went in one goal to the good.

The second half got off to a great start for the hosts as Blackwell made a great run and as Pavett played the through to him he was unceremoniously pulled down.

Blackwell dusted himself down and sent the keeper the wrong way from the resultant penalty.

Halstead only had a few minutes to wait before they added to their tally with Poku getting a goal on his return as his header from Thomas’s corner left the keeper with no chance.

Hackney were then awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area and their danger man Remi was narrowly off target, as they tried to reduce the arrears.

The game was over a contest on the hour when a great move saw O’Sullivan play through Pavett down the middle, and his flick found Poku, who calmly guided the ball beyond Richards to give the hosts a four-goal lead.

Hackney should have reduced this within minutes as Jadell Brown found himself in space in the box but he shot wildly when he should have scored.

Halstead also had a chance to add to the score when another Thomas corner was met by Poku.

Bbut this time his header ended wrong side of the upright and that was to be his final bit of action as he made way for Mark Dallinger.

The visitors pulled a goal back with 15 minutes remaining as they broke down right hand side and the cross was met by Brown, whose header was out of the reach of Cherry.

Halstead withstood a period of pressure but once they had rode that storm they saw the game out comfortably with the odd chance coming there way, notably a 20-yard effort from Thomas after Palmer and Blackwell had combined.

Halstead Town: Jack Cherry, Ryan Carter (Jack McPherson), Matt Travel, Garry Burdett, Jack Schelvis, Louis O’Sullivan (Nick Miller) Joe Thomas, Calvin Poku (Mark Dallinger), Jordan Pavett, Jordan Blackwell and Jordan Palmer. Sub (not used): Greg Strong.