HALSTEAD Town claimed a fourth successive win in Thurlow Nunn League first division south after winning 2-0 at Hackney Wick, writes KEN GILLIARD.

The Humbugs made the short trip to Spa Road, Witham, the adopted home of sixth-placed Hackney Wick, knowing only one of their best performances would be good enough if they wanted to return with any points.

They named a side with three changes with Nick Miller, Jordan Palmer and Mark Dallinger all included in the starting XI and they helped the Humbugs put in a great performance and take home all the points.

Halstead, as they did in midweek, got off to a fast start and with less than five minutes on the clock they found themselves in front.

Alfie Cleal’s effort struck the upright and the rebounded fell nicely for Jordan Palmer, who smashed home from within the six-yard box.

Halstead were then dominating the play for long periods and threatened the hosts goal on numerous occasions.

Cleal again providing the danger and this time the keeper responded well to save his header but the rebound again fell to Palmer, but this time his effort was smothered by two defenders.

Cleal and Dallinger then had efforts in quick succession that were just wide of the goal, the second a great over head effort.

Dallinger was enjoying his rare start and on 36 minutes was again narrowly off target.

The Halstead pressure finally paid off when they pressed the home side on the edge of their box and the ball fell to Cleal, who rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the back of the net - which meant he had scored for the fourth successive game.

Halstead reached the break with the two-goal advantage, having played one of their best 45 minutes of the season.

The break didn’t do Halstead, or the game, any good as both sides made a slow start to the second period.

The only thing of note to happen within the first 15 minutes was a booking for the Humbugs full back Ryan Carter for a poor challenge.

The remainder of the game saw both sides show plenty of endeavour but without creating any real chances.

The visitors almost extended their lead, but the hosts keeper did well to ensure the gap stayed at two.

The next notable moment was when substitute Brand-Barker replaced scorer Palmer for his Halstead debut.

It all meant that Halstead saw the game out comfortably and returned to the Milbanks in the knowledge that they had secured their fourth win on the trot and remain in second place.

Next up for Halstead is a cup game against May and Baker under the lights and back to league action on Saturday when Barkingside visit the Milbanks.

Halstead Town: Jack Cherry, Ryan Carter, Matt Travell, Nick Miller, Jack Schelvis, Joe Thomas, Alfie Cleal, Jake Brown , Jordan Palmer (Adam Brand-Barker), Jordan Blackwell and Mark Dallinger (Greg Strong), Adam Hampson.