HALSTEAD Town clinched a third win on the spin after beating Haverhill Borough 5-2 in their latest Thurlow Nunn League first division south clash at Milbanks, writes KEN GILLIARD.

The Humbugs have jumped into a season's best second position although they have played more games than a number of teams around them.

The win sets them up nicely for a tough trip to high-flying Hackney Wick, on Saturday.

Halstead’s line-up saw just the one change from Saturday’s 5-0 success against Park View with Callum Tracey starting in place of Nick Miller, who was given a well-earned rest after some excellent recent performances.

The hosts picked up where they left off on Saturday when, with just seven minutes gone, the first attack of the game saw Hampson play in Jake Brown down the left.

He put in a great ball which found Chris Harris – who tapped home to give Halstead the lead.

It wasn’t long before Halstead and Harris added a second as Jordan Blackwell crossed, Harris chested it down and hammered it home with his right foot, so with a little over ten minutes gone and Halstead had a two-goal advantage.

It didn’t get any easier for the visitors as Harris completed his hat-trick on 15 minutes, this time benefitting from a cross from Travell.

Once again it came down the left and Travell cross was well measured, and Harris threw himself at it to head home.

The home crowd were ecstatic as the goals flew in and on 17 minutes they had another to enjoy and again Harris was involved.

This time he turned provider as he played the ball across the 18-yard line and into the path of the on-rushing Hampson fired into the top right-hand corner with an excellent finish.

The game then went into a quiet phase with Halstead’s tempo dropping and it took another 20 minutes before there was a shot in anger and again it was Harris, but his effort from outside the box was narrowly off target.

Haverhill pulled a goal back on 39 minutes, meaning Halstead failed to add to their miserly tally of just two clean sheets so far this season.

But the Humbugs were back on the attack almost immediately as a great run by Hampson ended with a pass to Travell, but his effort was just the wrong side of the upright.

On the stroke of half-time Halstead should have extended their lead as Blackwell rounded the keeper but put the ball wide so the Humbugs went into the break with a three-goal advantage.

The opening exchanges of the second half mirrored the end of the first with the hosts seemingly resting on their laurels and playing at a lower tempo which suited the visitors.

There was little to talk about until 20 minutes in when Borough got a penalty and reduced the arrears to two and furthered their belief that they may get something from a game they started so badly.

Halstead, as they did after the first reverse, responded immediately but Travell’s effort was just off target and Hampson saw his shot superbly pushed away, one handed, by Haverhill keeper Bell.

The game was finally put to bed with five minutes remaining with a superb goal from Jordan Blackwell, as he picked the ball up on the left-hand edge of the box and curled a beauty into the top right-hand corner.

Halstead Town: Jack Cherry, Ryan Carter, Matt Travell, Callum Tracey, Jack Schelvis, Joe Thomas, Alfie Cleal, Jake Brown , Chris Harris, Jordan Blackwell (Calvin Poku), Adam Hampson.