COLCHESTER United fielded a number of first-team players as their under-23s ran out 2-0 winners over Cardiff City.

The U's youngsters were victorious in their latest Professional Development League Two South game, staged at Maldon and Tiptree FC.

Tom Lapslie continued his comeback from injury when he started the academy game.

The midfielder has not featured for Steve Ball's side this season, following knee surgery in the summer.

However, Lapslie travelled to Exeter City for the U's latest League Two game.

And although he was not among the substitutes at St James Park, he still took part in running drills on the pitch, prior to the match.

Josh Bohui, who came on as a substitute in Colchester's defeat at Exeter, also featured for them against Cardiff as he looked to stake a claim for a starting spot in their clash with Crawley Town at the JobServe Community Stadium, next Tuesday night.

And the likes of Ryan Clampin, Marley Marshall-Miranda, Harvey Sayer and Shamal George, who have all had first-team minutes under their belt this season, were also aiming to shine.

There were no goals in the first half of the Professional Development League Two clash.

However, Colchester took control after the break.

They took the lead just after the midway point of the second half through Jake Hutchinson.

And Sayer put the finishing touches on what was a good victory for the under-23s with a second goal, three minutes before the end.

The U's under-23 team that played was Shamal George, Junior Tchamadeu, Ollie Kensdale, Billy Cracknell, Ryan Clampin, Tom Lapslie, Josh Bohui, Marley Marshall-Miranda, Jake Hutchinson, Andre Hasanally and Harvey Sayer.

Substitutes were Endurance Johnson, Matt Weaire, Sam Cornish, Sammie McLeod and Matty Tricker.

Colchester's under-18s relinquished a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 at ten-man Millwall.

Tom Stagg netted both of the U's goals.

Colchester's senior squad are without a game, this weekend.

Their next first-team game is the home game against Crawley, next Tuesday.