Five talking points from Colchester United's draw at Morecambe

A disappointing outcome

THE miserable conditions matched Colchester United’s mood as they departed a rain-sodden Globe Arena, on Saturday night.

The positive was that they picked up a point at Morecambe and extended their unbeaten league run to 12 matches.

Indeed, the U’s have not lost on their travels in the league since mid-October.

But there was somehow no escaping the fact that their 1-1 draw against the League Two strugglers was a disappointment for the promotion-chasing U’s, especially given the fact that they had been ahead for a good chunk of the match.

It is now four successive draws for John McGreal’s side, who are seemingly finding it difficult at the moment to finish games off when they have the chance.

Seeing red

RYAN Jackson’s first-ever red card for Colchester United left them rather up against it in the closing stages at Morecambe.

The right-back was dismissed with seven minutes of normal time to go after picking up two yellow cards in the space of nine minutes, both for fouls.

There was always the feeling that there might be a dismissal at some point in the game, especially given that referee Robert Lewis has now dished out a whopping 75 yellow cards and four red cards already this season, in the 20 games he has presided over.

That said, Jackson probably can’t have too many complaints with the nature of the two yellow cards he received.

Great effort

IT is days like yesterday that can probably test the loyalty of even the most die-hard supporter.

Not only did Colchester United fans have a near 600-mile round trip to get to Morecambe; they also had to battle the winter elements in order to do so and then contend with a troublesome motorway closure before even arriving at the Globe Arena.

So hats off to the 100 dedicated U’s supporters who were present to see their side play out a 1-1 draw in at times dreadful conditions.

Subbing a sub

A PLAYER seldom likes being substituted in any game, at any time.

So Luke Gambin’s disappointment at being replaced in the closing stages of Colchester United’s 1-1 draw at Morecambe was pretty understandable – given he had only been on the pitch for just 14 minutes after himself coming on for Callum Harriott.

A dejected Gambin was replaced by Tom Lapslie following Ryan Jackson’s red card, as John McGreal looked for a way to shore things up.

The U’s boss had to do something to fill the void left in the right-back position following Jackson’s dismissal and it was an unfortunate situation but Gambin’s frustration was nevertheless very plausible.

To his credit, the Malta international dealt with it in a professional manner, despite his obvious disappointment.

Jake’s big day

THE overall feeling within the Colchester United squad after the Morecambe game was one of frustration and disappointment at not getting a win.

But there was one player on the U’s team coach on Saturday night who will not forget the trip to the Globe Arena in a hurry – despite not being involved in the action.

Teenager Jake Hutchinson, another of the U’s academy products, travelled up to Lancashire with the Colchester first-team squad and was close to being named among their substitutes, according to boss John McGreal.

He will have gained a lot from the experience of being part of the matchday set-up.