A bit of late drama brought an eye-catching result in Thurlow Nunn League division one south and provided a worthy winner of the performance of the day award.

The day had started with a couple of disappointments as Coggeshall United’s home game against leaders Lopes Tavares was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, as was Brightlingsea Regent Reserves’ trip to Newbury Forest.

Most other games did take place, but Harwich & Parkeston may have wished theirs had been among the call-offs as they were beaten 7-1 at home by White Ensign.

The Shrimpers took the lead early on through a Sean Bartlett penalty, but it was to be the highlight of an otherwise day to forget.

Both Halstead Town and Little Oakley got something from games against Barkingside and Hackney Wick respectively, though, as both picked up a point.

Oakley had Harry Mann on target in a 1-1 draw at the Memorial Ground, while Halstead’s came in an eventful trip to Barkingside.

Having fallen behind early on, the Humbugs pulled level almost immediately thanks to a Conor Scurlock goal, before Chris Harris headed them in front and new signing Hassan Ayten finished a good move to make it 3-1.

Barkingside pulled one back and while Scurlock restored the two-goal lead with his second of the day, the hosts made it 4-3 with a crucial strike late in the first half.

Buoyed by that, they dominated the early spell after the break and pulled level, but although both had chances as the game progressed neither was able to add to their tally as it finished 4-4.

However, it was at Wivenhoe Town where the day’s top performance came.

Unfortunately for the Dragons, though, it wasn’t the hosts who took the honour as visiting Holland FC picked up a superb 1-0 win to move up to fourth in the table.

Wivenhoe had been looking to record a fifth straight win in the league, but they were undone late in the game at the Blackstone Stadium.

After a first half where there were few chances, Holland had had the better sights of goal after the break and Steve Eaton had hit the post, but they had to wait until the 90th minute for the winner to come.

It arrived from a late corner that was bundled in by Harvey Cowler to snatch the points and get them back to winning ways after back-to-back defeats in the league.