(Clampin, 80)


Southern Group A

COLCHESTER United marched into the last 32 of the Trophy after an extraordinary late winner from Ryan Clampin.

The full-back struck ten minutes from time with an audacious, if fortuitous, 40-yard effort that soared through the air before dropping over stranded keeper Tomas Holy.

It came after he went in for a tackle with Idris El Mizouni.

The ball spun high into the air before arcing into the Town net.

In the process, it also catapulted the U’s to the top of Southern Group A – meaning they are assured of a home tie in the last 32.

Ipswich finished second, also going through, with Gillingham third and Tottenham Hotspur’s under-21s fourth.

As it turned out, the U’s knew long before the end that they would progress as runners-up, at least, as Spurs’ youngsters – the only side who could leapfrog them into second place – lost 2-0 at Gillingham.

With that one being a 7pm kick-off, it meant John McGreal’s men were safely through – regardless of what happened in north Essex.

The draw for the second round, which is still regional, takes place at 2pm on Saturday.

And former U’s striker Clinton Morrison is one of those conducting the draw, along with former England international Sue Smith.

U’s boss McGreal made three changes to the side that were thoroughly outplayed by Coventry City in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Only three players kept their places and they were Luke Prosser, Courtney Senior and Frank Nouble.

Eight others were drafted into action and they were goalkeeper Ethan Ross, Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu, Omar Sowunmi, Clampin, Tom Lapslie, Harry Pell, Jevani Brown and Luke Norris.

Unfortunately, there was little to give either set of supporters much to cheer about in a largely pedestrian first half.

Colchester’s best moment came in added-on time, when Norris’ curling free-kick flew into the side-netting, while Brown saw a drilled effort blocked by a Town defender.

At the other end, Ipswich nearly grabbed an early goal when El Mizouni’s precise effort forced a fingertip save from Ross.

Then, at the end, Ben Folami saw an effort deflected behind after a cut-back by Anthony Georgiou.

Town had a couple more chances early in the second half.

El Mizouni’s effort was on target before being blocked by Sowunmi while Georgiou lashed into the side-netting after getting the better of Sarpong-Wiredu.

It looked like we could be heading for penalties until Clapin’s late intervention – a thunderous way to settle a hard-fought East Anglian derby.

U’s: 4-2-3-1: Ross; Sarpong-Wiredu (Jackson, 57), Sowunmi, Prosser, Clampin; Pell, Lapslie; Senior (Poku, 65), Brown, Nouble (Robinson, 71); Norris.

Unused subs: Gerken, Bramall, Eastman, Stevenson.

Ipswich: 4-2-3-1: Holy; Donacien, Wilson, Nsiala, Kenlock; Huws, McGavin; Edwards (Chirewa 90), El Mizouni (Hughes, 87), Georgiou (Gibbs, 87); Folami.

Unused subs: Norris, Rowe, Woolfenden, Brown.

Referee: Sam Purkiss.

Bookings: U’s – Norris (foul, 34), Sowunmi (foul, 37). Ipswich – Wilson (foul 45).

Attendance: 5,104 (2,781 Ipswich fans).