COLCHESTER United roared back in the second half to beat bottom club Stevenage 3-1 this afternoon and continue their impressive form.

Goals from Tom Eastman, Frank Nouble and Kwame Poku after the break gave the U's victory at the JobServe Community Stadium, after Jason Cowley's deflected strike had given the visitors a first-half lead.

It was a satisfying win for Colchester, who are now unbeaten in their last four league matches and have lost only one of their last 12 league and cup games.

U’s head coach John McGreal made four changes to his starting line-up for their game against Stevenage.

Ryan Jackson, Ben Stevenson, Poku and Luke Norris all returned to the team, with Tom Lapslie, Omar Sowunmi and Brendan Wiredu dropping to the bench and Paris Cowan-Hall missing out through injury.

Colchester almost fell behind in the eighth minute when Ben Kennedy’s audacious 40-yard effort flew just over after a mix-up between Cohen Bramall and skipper Luke Prosser led to alert goalkeeper Dean Gerken racing out of his goal and making a vital clearance.

Poku’s cross-shot flew across the six-yard box and wide of the far post for the U’s but the hosts fell behind in the 17th minute.

Cowley picked up possession on the edge of the area after some neat approach play by Kennedy and unleashed a shot which deflected off Prosser and wrong-footed Gerken before flying in.

Colchester initially struggled to get back into the game although Theo Robinson's hooked effort flew wide after some good play by Norris had set him up.

The U’s had a gilt-edged chance to equalise eight minutes before the break when Nouble’s shot from point-blank range was saved by keeper Paul Farman after Stevenson’s ball across the area while seconds later, Robinson has a shot blocked from close range.

Colchester finished the first half strongly, with Norris firing a low shot straight at Farman from close range following Ryan Jackson’s cross and then seeing his shot on the turn flash inches wide of the far post after Jackson’s pass had again picked out his run.

Nouble’s left-foot shot then sailed just wide of the near post after Stevenson’s glorious free-kick had sent him away down the left, as the U’s went in at the break behind.

Colchester needed a rapid response in the second half - and they got one.

The second half was less than three minutes old when Eastman nodded in firmly at the far post from Robinson's cross, after the visitors had failed to properly clear Bramall’s free-kick.

Colchester went in search of another goal after that and almost scored again when Bramall's effort deflected off Ben Nugent and flew wide for a corner.

And the U's came even closer to going ahead in the 67th minute through Norris, whose fine free-kick from the edge of the area smacked the base of the post, before eventually going to safety.

Colchester made a double change with 15 minutes remaining in a bid to find a winner, with Wiredu and Luke Gambin on for Norris and Stevenson.

With 11 minutes remaining, Robinson bent a good effort just wide of the far post after Wiredu's pass had sent him away as the U's pressed.

And the breakthrough finally came in the 82nd minute when Nouble converted from the spot, after being fouled by keeper Farman in the area.

The U's put the icing on the cake barely a minute later when Poku tapped home from two yards, after Nouble had done brilliantly in the box to set him up as Colchester claimed victory.