COLCHESTER United made it back-to-back wins in League Two this afternoon thanks to  a 2-1 victory over Leyton Orient.

But the U's were made to work hard for their victory, after the O's pushed them all the way in front of a crowd of 5,519 at a sunny JobServe Community Stadium.

Goals in the opening half hour from Kwame Poku and Ryan Jackson had put Colchester in command.

But Conor Wilkinson's strike just before half-time ensured a testing second half for the U's, who were able to close out victory.

It was perhaps a closer margin of victory than Colchester had hoped for, given the way they had performed in the first half.

But the hosts will be pleased to claim another win on home territory, to follow up their triumph at Swindon Town.

John McGreal named an unchanged starting line-up for their game against Orient, following his side's impressive 3-0 win at the County Ground in midweek.

There were changes among the substitutes though, with Ben Stevenson and Paris Cowan-Hall replacing Noah Chilvers and Luke Gambin on the bench.

Colchester made a dream start to the contest.

They took a third-minute lead when teenager Poku, making his first-ever home league start, had time to fire a low left-foot shot past former U’s keeper Dean Brill and in from just inside the area after Theo Robinson had escaped down the right and crossed.

It was the first goal of the day to be scored in League Two and Colchester almost doubled their lead, three minutes later.

Jackson picked out Poku but the teenager could only fire a tame shot straight at Brill from close range.

Colchester were on top and Orient only threatened on occasions, although Tom Eastman did well to clear for a corner from under his own crossbar after Louis Dennis had delivered a dangerous low cross into the six-yard box.

But the U’s went 2-0 ahead in the 28th minute when Brandon Comley picked out Jackson, who was allowed time on the edge of the O’s area to drill a high shot past the motionless Brill and into the net.

Colchester were the dominant force and looked like they were heading into the break with a two-goal advantage.

However, they inexplicably allowed Orient back into the game a minute before half-time when goalkeeper Dean Gerken inexplicably failed to clear inside his own six-yard box and Louis Dennis intercepted, allowing Wilkinson to tap home from close range.

It changed the complexion of the game heading into the second half but Colchester almost restored their two-goal lead just after the interval when Courtney Senior’s left-foot effort flashed inches past the upright for the U’s.

Orient looked threatening too though and soon after, Dennis curled a shot just wide of the far post for Orient after left-back Joe Widdowson had picked him out with a cross-field pass.

And Dennis went close again for Orient just before the midway point in the second half when he hooked a shot just over the bar, after skipper Josh Coulson had headed on Joe Widdowson's free-kick into the U's area.

Colchester made their first change of the game with 20 minutes remaining, sending on Tom Lapslie for Brendan Wiredu in central midfield.

The U's almost extended their advantage soon after when Senior's pass sent Frank Nouble through, only for Brill to do well to deny the former West Ham youngster from point-blank range.

Poku shot tamely straight at Brill soon after while at the other end, Dennis hooked another effort over the bar as the visitors pressed.

Six minutes of stoppage time were added at the end and Gerken had to react quickly to prevent Jackson from scoring an own goal but Colchester were able to see out the game and claim three home points.