TOM Eastman is confident that Colchester United’s first League Two win of the season is just around the corner.

But the long-serving U’s defender admits they must start performing for the entirety of their games, if they are to turn performances into points.

Colchester have scored all four of their league goals so far this season before half-time and have not been behind at the interval in any of their five matches.

However, five of the six goals John McGreal’s side have conceded have come in the second half and late strikes in each of their last two games have cost them points.

Ahead of their home clash with Northampton Town this weekend, defender Eastman admits they need to start performing for the whole 90 minutes, if they are to get on the winning trail.

He said: “That first win is just around the corner.

“We need to turn those draws into wins, which isn’t happening at the minute.

“I think our problem at the minute has been we’ve been good in half a game or three-quarters of games but haven’t been able to do it over 90 minutes.

“That’s what’s costing the team and that’s something we definitely need to improve on.

“We were 2-0 up at Grimsby and drew 2-2 and before that, 1-0 up at half-time against Cambridge and lost 2-1.

“It’s just a question of turning those first 45-minute performances into 90 minutes.”

Colchester led 2-0 at Grimsby, thanks to first-half goals from Frank Nouble and Luke Norris.

But James Hanson pulled a goal back from the penalty spot for the Mariners early in the second half, before Matt Green’s fine strike late on secured the hosts a draw.

“It was very frustrating for us all,” said Eastman, who is embarking on his 11th season at the U’s.

“We were very good in the first half – we were strong at the back and scored two very good goals.

“Frank (Nouble) did incredibly to put it in the top corner with his left foot and then did very well to set up Nos (Luke Norris) for the second.

“Attacking-wise, we did well and it’s just a shame we couldn’t hold on.

“It’s a tough place to come and to go in 2-0 up away from home, you’d like to think we could hold on for the three points.

“We were a bit disappointed to concede an early penalty in the second half which I thought was a bit harsh.

“I was close to it and I didn’t really think that Jacko (Ryan Jackson) did much wrong.

“The guy (Moses Ogbu) fell over pretty easily and the referee delayed it a bit and then gave it.

“But from there we stuck together well and battled well until the end.

“I don’t think they had too many clearcut chances and we bounced back from that early goal but we weren’t able to hold on until the end.

“The late goal was a real sucker punch.

“It was a really good finish to be fair to him (Matt Green) and Deano (Gerken) had no chance in goal.

“But it’s still frustrating; it was a set-piece, second ball which most of the night we’d done well with.”