A FAMILY have been left homeless after a fire destroyed their caravan.

Two fire engines were rushed to the scene in Sandy Lane in Chadwell St Mary this morning at 4.36am.

The residents heard their smoke alarms going off and managed to get themselves and their dog to safety.

On arrival, fire crews reported that a static caravan, which measured ten metres by three metres, was 75 per cent alight.

Crews worked to extinguish the fire by 5.25am.

The caravan has been completely destroyed and the cause has been recorded as accidental after an electrical fault.

A fire service spokesman said: “The residents were able to get out of the caravan to safety after hearing their smoke alarms going off.

"They got themselves and their dog out safely and called us which is absolutely the right thing to do.

"Having a working smoke alarm on every level of your home is the best way to keep you and your family safe in the event of a fire.

"Smoke alarms give you an early warning sign to fire so you can get out, stay out and call the Fire Service out.

"If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms, we can fit them for free during a home safety visit."

Visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book