THREE people have been taken to hospital with "life-changing" injuries following reports of an "explosion" at a pub.

Emergency services were called to the Kings Head pub in Bures Road, Great Cornard shortly before 10pm on Saturday, April 24.

Police, fire crews and ambulance teams were called to the pub following reports of an explosion.

Three people were taken to hospital for treatment following the fire, which is believed to have been caused by a portable fuel heater.

The three, a man and two women, remain in hospital with serious injuries and police are searching for witnesses.

A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: "Police are appealing for witnesses and information following a fire in Great Cornard.

"Emergency services attended including the fire service and ambulance service, and three people were taken to hospital for treatment.

"The three people, two females and one male, remain in hospital after sustaining serious injuries, which are not believed to be life-threatening but are potentially life-changing.

"Any witnesses or anyone with information is asked to contact Suffolk police, quoting incident number: 37/20827/21"

A statement by the pub on social media after the incident said: "We're closed today following an incident last night.

"We're working closely with the police and authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with those injured.

"Anyone with any information relating to the incident should contact Suffolk Police."

Multiple ambulance teams were called to the scene to assist, including an air ambulance. 

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust said:"Three ambulances, three Hazardous Area Response Team vehicles, two ambulance officer vehicles, East Anglian Air Ambulance and Essex and Herts Air Ambulance were called to Bures Road, Great Cornard, Sudbury shortly before 10pm on Saturday, April 24, following reports of a number of people injured by fire. 

"Two patients were transported by road ambulance to West Suffolk General Hospital, and a third was also transported by road ambulance to Broomfield Hospital."