FIREFIGHTERS were called to a chimney fire in Bradfield.

Crews from Manningtree and Clacton attended the blaze, in Straight Road, at about 3pm on Wednesday.

On arrival crews reported a chimney fire had affected the ridge of a roof and began stripping tiles to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters used chimney rods, a stirrup pump and ladders to extinguish the fire by 5:42pm.

An Essex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The top reasons for chimney fires is either the flues haven't been swept regularly enough or the wrong type of wood or fuel is being burnt.

"Chimney fires can cause a lot of damage to the house so we want encourage everyone to follow our fire safety advice."