Police have extended their use of extra stop-and-search powers on the Greenstead estate, after two people were stabbed in separate targeted attacks yesterday.

The first attack happened at around 7.40am yesterday morning in Hunwicke Avenue, Colchester, when a man was stabbed near to the row of shops in the street.

He suffered serious injuries and was rushed to Addenbrookes hospital by air ambulance.

Hours later, a second person was stabbed. At around 3.30pm police officers on the estate were approached by a man who claimed he had been stabbed.

He was taken to hospital, and his injuries have been described as not life-threatening or life-changing.

Police are treating the attacks as separate unlinked incidents.

The order, which was put in place yesterday, will continue to run until 4.50pm tomorrow, (May 24), under powers granted by Section 60 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994.

The area covered by the authority remains the same, covering Bromley Road to the north, Longridge to the east, Avon Way to the south and St Andrew's Avenue to the west.

The Section 60 means officers do not need to have reasonable grounds to stop someone.

Detective Superintendent Leighton Hammett said: “Although the two incidents yesterday were both contained and targeted, we’re going to extend this order to reassure the local community of Greenstead.

“Since the order came in at 4.50pm yesterday, we’ve arrested two people on suspicion of possession of a bladed article – one within 15 minutes of the order being in place, and one person on suspicion of drink driving.

“We’ll be continuing to stop and search those who are carrying weapons and intend to commit serious or violent crime. These people are a harm to your local community, and we will arrest them.

“If you have any knowledge of someone in the community carrying a weapon, or who may be involved in crime, please feel free to talk to the officers in the area, report it through our website, or call us on 101.”

Two men, aged 19 and 21, were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug and have since been released on bail.

They will answer bail on Tuesday June 16.

A local 39-year-old woman, who was arrested for a second incident on the estate later that afternoon, has since been released under investigation.