A fish shop has been ruined after it went up in flames.

Fire crews from Halstead and Braintree were called out to Martin’s Fish Bar in Martins Road, Halstead, at around 4.18pm on Tuesday following reports of a blaze.

Firefighters worked for 40 minutes before extinguishing the flames and preventing them from spreading to neighbouring properties.

Crews then had to use high powered fans to clear smoke from the fish bar, which backs onto a residential home.

Four people were treated at the scene by paramedics.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service added: “Three units from our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and one ambulance were dispatched to treat four patients.

“Three people were treated for smoke inhalation and one was taken to Colchester General Hospital for further treatment.”

An investigation has found the fire started accidentally in the kitchen area of the chip shop.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service added: “The shop area where the fire started has been severely damaged by fire.”