FIRE crews tackled a chimney blaze for more than four hours.

Firefighters were called to Yeldham Road, in Sible Hedingham, on Friday, September 30, at 4.15pm.

A crew from Coggeshall and an aerial ladder platform from Chelmsford were sent to the scene.

Firefighters used chimney rods, thermal imaging cameras and a hose as they tackled the fire, which was fully extinguished by 8.20pm.

They returned to the property at 11.15pm to check the fire was completely out.

Crew manager Ian Street said: "To keep yourself and your family safe from fire, you should have your chimney swept and inspected regularly – at least once a year.”

The fire service has also reminded residents of chimney safety after the incident heading into the winter months.

A spokesman said: “With colder weather setting in and the increased energy cost, we're expecting an increase in the use of log burners and open fires this year.

“With this in mind, we'd like to offer the following advice to help you enjoy your fire safely.

“Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood.

“Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed.

“Use a fire or spark guard.

“Inspect your chimney regularly, particularly in the roof space, to ensure that it is sound, and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks

“Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves

“For more information and safety advice regarding chimney fires visit”