Firefighters were called to a hot tub which had caught alight in Colne Engaine.

Crews from Halstead Fire Station were called to Church Street, Colne Engaine, at 2.09am this morning.

On arrival, firefighters found the fire was quickly spreading along the outside decking in the garden to the house.

A spokesman for the Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “We worked hard to minimise the damage and stop the fire taking the house and next door.

“We used two main jets, two hose reel jets, four sets of breathing apparatus and a large fan to clear the smoke from the property.”

The cause of the fire was found to be a fault with the hot tub.