Braintree Town suffered a role reversal in their Conference Premier match against visiting Chester.

Braintree dominated the first half, taking a 1-0 lead into the break.

It should have been more as the home side missed a host of chances.

But in the second half Chester made them rue those missed opportunities taking a 3-1 win.

Braintree created three chances in the first couple of minutes.

Chez Issac had a fierce shot well saved by Chester keeper Hall after 30 seconds.

Then it was the turn of Sean Marks to get in the act as his shot slammed against the crossbar.

And on three minutes Marks had a header that was just over.

But two minutes later John Rooney forced a save from home keeper Hamann.

Braintree’s Dan Sparkes then went close on 15 minutes when his shot from a free-kick went wide of the post.

The home side’s pressure paid off when they were awarded a penalty on 23 minutes after John Disney handled the ball in the box.

Kenny Davies then made no mistake from the spot to put the Iron in front.

Despite going behind Chester continued to press but it was the home side that went closest to scoring before half-time.

Dan Walker was through on goal but a last-ditch tackle prevent the Iron player from pulling the trigger.

And then, on 41 minutes, Marks had a free header in front of goal but his effort went wide.

Just before the break Dan Walker was one on one with the keeper but dragged his shot wide.

Chester made a fast start to the second half, Rooney went close for Chester but his effort hit the post.

But they did equalise when Chris Iwelumo chested the ball down to Rooney and he passed to Sean McConville who fired home on 48 minutes.

Mitch Brundle then fired in an overhead kick, following a Sparkes free-kick being flicked to the back post, but it was well saved by the visiting keeper on 56 minutes.

On 60 minutes, Sam Habergham crossed to the back post and it looked as if Davis could head the ball in but it was well claimed by Hall.

But it was Chester who made the breakthrough when McConville crossed for Iwelumo to head home at the back post on 64 minutes.

And it got worse when McConville fired home two minutes later.

Craig Mahon then fired in a powerful shot that just cleared the bar after being set up by Iwelumo.

Braintree put pressure on the Chester goal as the game ended but they couldn’t find a way back into the game.