Kittens narrowly escape being mauled by foxes after being dumped in Benfleet carpark

Kittens narrowly escape being mauled by foxes after being dumped in Benfleet carpark

Kittens narrowly escape being mauled by foxes after being dumped in Benfleet carpark

First published in South Essex news

FIVE tiny kittens narrowly escaped being mauled by foxes after being abandoned in a Benfleet car park.

Heartless pet owners dumped the litter of black and white and tabby kittens in a cardboard box in a doctor’s surgery car park in Rushbottom Lane alongside an unopened tin of cat food.

Fortunately they were found at around 10.30pm by a couple walking their dog, by which time foxes had surrounded them, waiting to pounce.

The couple telephoned the Castle Point Cats Protection League, which immediately sent someone to rescue the frightened animals.

Norman Mills, of Seamore Avenue, Benfleet, who took in the kittens, said: “I think someone put them there to be found, but it was quite late in the evening, so by the time they were found they were surrounded by foxes.

“They would have been dead by the morning if they hadn’t been seen.

“They are so very lucky. When we got them, they were terrified and just sat curled up in a corner, but now they seem back to normal, chasing string and each other.”

Volunteers for the animal charity claim they are stretched to the limit as, in the past few months, they have been inundated with 50 abandoned kittens, the most they have had.

Pet owners are being urged to get their animals neutered to prevent the problem escalating.

Allison Barrow, from the protection league, said: “What did these people think would happen to them out there late at night?

“We are absolutely full to the brim with kittens and we still have a few pregnant cats ready to give birth. It’s just appalling at the moment.

“We’ve got to get it across to people they need to take responsibility and get their cats neutered.

“Cats come into season at just four months and they can have three litters a year, so if – like this one – they have five, that’s 15 kittens per cat, every year.

“If people can’t cope with their cats, just ring us – they should never do this.”

The charity is holding an emergency kitten re-homing show to try to find all the animals new owners.

The event will take place from 11.30pm until 2pm on Sunday, September 8, at Mill Hall, in Bellingham Lane, Rayleigh.

For more information, visit www.catsrayleigh.terapad.com

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:08pm Wed 28 Aug 13

Ineverknewthat says...

If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans...........
If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans........... Ineverknewthat
  • Score: 12

5:10pm Wed 28 Aug 13

BarryTanner says...

As much as I love kitties, I do hope that this latest batch of unwanted moggies will be neutered before being passed out to the general public.
As much as I love kitties, I do hope that this latest batch of unwanted moggies will be neutered before being passed out to the general public. BarryTanner
  • Score: 9

6:40pm Wed 28 Aug 13

paulatepc says...

"...by which time foxes had surrounded them, waiting to pounce.." - were they "in the attack position, snarling and hissing too" - someone has a fertile imagination...been reading too many newspaper reports about "killer foxes", or rather people whose dogs probably do the attacking and the foxes get blamed...
"...by which time foxes had surrounded them, waiting to pounce.." - were they "in the attack position, snarling and hissing too" - someone has a fertile imagination...been reading too many newspaper reports about "killer foxes", or rather people whose dogs probably do the attacking and the foxes get blamed... paulatepc
  • Score: 12

7:15pm Wed 28 Aug 13

Biker One says...

Charity should be for humans, cats would make a tasty curry!
Charity should be for humans, cats would make a tasty curry! Biker One
  • Score: -20

8:22pm Wed 28 Aug 13

JoanneM1972 says...

How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???
How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl??? JoanneM1972
  • Score: 5

9:46pm Wed 28 Aug 13

profondo asbo says...

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=YYS_YnxMq
IU
http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=YYS_YnxMq IU profondo asbo
  • Score: -4

10:18pm Wed 28 Aug 13

benfleet101 says...

Ineverknewthat wrote:
If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans...........
Checking on various wildlife sites they confirm that whilst incidents of foxes killing cats are rare and a cat will usually come off best against a fox, it is NOT necessarily the case with a young, inexperienced and defenceless kittens or slower, elderly cats. They are seen as easy prey. And given the foxes reputation with pet rabbits, I would not have wanted to risk leaving them together.
[quote][p][bold]Ineverknewthat[/bold] wrote: If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans...........[/p][/quote]Checking on various wildlife sites they confirm that whilst incidents of foxes killing cats are rare and a cat will usually come off best against a fox, it is NOT necessarily the case with a young, inexperienced and defenceless kittens or slower, elderly cats. They are seen as easy prey. And given the foxes reputation with pet rabbits, I would not have wanted to risk leaving them together. benfleet101
  • Score: 8

10:22pm Wed 28 Aug 13

Biker One says...

Biker One wrote:
Charity should be for humans, cats would make a tasty curry!
Second thoughts, spit roasted with a tangy chutney, yum yum
[quote][p][bold]Biker One[/bold] wrote: Charity should be for humans, cats would make a tasty curry![/p][/quote]Second thoughts, spit roasted with a tangy chutney, yum yum Biker One
  • Score: -16

9:16am Thu 29 Aug 13

paulatepc says...

benfleet101 wrote:
Ineverknewthat wrote:
If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans...........
Checking on various wildlife sites they confirm that whilst incidents of foxes killing cats are rare and a cat will usually come off best against a fox, it is NOT necessarily the case with a young, inexperienced and defenceless kittens or slower, elderly cats. They are seen as easy prey. And given the foxes reputation with pet rabbits, I would not have wanted to risk leaving them together.
..my two elderly cats are more than a match for anything - the last thing they lose is their ability to scratch and bite!!!
[quote][p][bold]benfleet101[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ineverknewthat[/bold] wrote: If anything the Foxes were protecting them, foxes are not aggressive towards kittens, just wary of humans...........[/p][/quote]Checking on various wildlife sites they confirm that whilst incidents of foxes killing cats are rare and a cat will usually come off best against a fox, it is NOT necessarily the case with a young, inexperienced and defenceless kittens or slower, elderly cats. They are seen as easy prey. And given the foxes reputation with pet rabbits, I would not have wanted to risk leaving them together.[/p][/quote]..my two elderly cats are more than a match for anything - the last thing they lose is their ability to scratch and bite!!! paulatepc
  • Score: 0

10:02am Thu 29 Aug 13

paulatepc says...

I have been looking at some of these "reports" of fox attacks... for example..

http://arbroath.blog
spot.co.uk/2010/08/f
ox-kills-kitten-in-b
edroom.html

In this story the fox is even attributed with wall climbing skills to get into a first floor bedroom through a window, maul a kitten and escape back out the window (down a ladder?).

I am amazed how many people are ready to believe these reports rather than to suspect that the story might possibly be a cover-up for the ill deeds of their pet dog.
I have been looking at some of these "reports" of fox attacks... for example.. http://arbroath.blog spot.co.uk/2010/08/f ox-kills-kitten-in-b edroom.html In this story the fox is even attributed with wall climbing skills to get into a first floor bedroom through a window, maul a kitten and escape back out the window (down a ladder?). I am amazed how many people are ready to believe these reports rather than to suspect that the story might possibly be a cover-up for the ill deeds of their pet dog. paulatepc
  • Score: 2

12:40pm Thu 29 Aug 13

Ian P says...

JoanneM1972 wrote:
How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???
The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA.
[quote][p][bold]JoanneM1972[/bold] wrote: How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???[/p][/quote]The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA. Ian P
  • Score: 8

4:05pm Thu 29 Aug 13

John T Pharro says...

Ian P wrote:
JoanneM1972 wrote:
How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???
The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA.
Had a similar experience a few years back when I found a seagull wound up in fishing wire. Totally disinterested, however same week on TV they were shown rescuing a swan similarly wound up in fishing wire. Seems the RSPCA pick and choose which animal or bird they dian to help.
[quote][p][bold]Ian P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoanneM1972[/bold] wrote: How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???[/p][/quote]The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA.[/p][/quote]Had a similar experience a few years back when I found a seagull wound up in fishing wire. Totally disinterested, however same week on TV they were shown rescuing a swan similarly wound up in fishing wire. Seems the RSPCA pick and choose which animal or bird they dian to help. John T Pharro
  • Score: 5

4:52pm Thu 29 Aug 13

paulatepc says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Ian P wrote:
JoanneM1972 wrote:
How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???
The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA.
Had a similar experience a few years back when I found a seagull wound up in fishing wire. Totally disinterested, however same week on TV they were shown rescuing a swan similarly wound up in fishing wire. Seems the RSPCA pick and choose which animal or bird they dian to help.
I stopped supporting the RSPCA when I heard about their defending ill treatment of animals in their so called "Freedom Foods" approved farms. They seemed to be more interested in protecting their brand name rather than protecting animals. The people who run the Hillside Animal sanctuary...

http://hillside-farm
-animal-investigatio
ns.org.uk/

...exposed their attitude. Seemed to have lost the plot somehow. Another case of big institutions seeing the organisation as more important than their mission.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ian P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JoanneM1972[/bold] wrote: How could someone do that?.. Why not take them to the RSPCA or cpl???[/p][/quote]The RSPCA has no interest in taking in cats. All they are interested in nowdays is litigation. I called them once at about 7pm for help with a cat clearly in distress and the response I got was "if you think I am coming out this time at night just for a cat you are in cloud cuckoo land". From that day on I have had nothing to do with the RSPCA.[/p][/quote]Had a similar experience a few years back when I found a seagull wound up in fishing wire. Totally disinterested, however same week on TV they were shown rescuing a swan similarly wound up in fishing wire. Seems the RSPCA pick and choose which animal or bird they dian to help.[/p][/quote]I stopped supporting the RSPCA when I heard about their defending ill treatment of animals in their so called "Freedom Foods" approved farms. They seemed to be more interested in protecting their brand name rather than protecting animals. The people who run the Hillside Animal sanctuary... http://hillside-farm -animal-investigatio ns.org.uk/ ...exposed their attitude. Seemed to have lost the plot somehow. Another case of big institutions seeing the organisation as more important than their mission. paulatepc
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree