THE PARENTS of a baby who battled for five months have paid tribute to their “flirt and fighter”.

Victoria and Ashley Jones were advised to terminate her pregnancy last summer, after it was discovered their first baby’s bowel, liver and stomach were growing outside his body.

Supporting their son, the couple from Conies Road in Halstead stayed hopeful and baby George was born at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge on August 31.

After five joyful months, their miracle baby died on February 7.

His parents were told at a 24- week scan George would only be alive for four hours.

Speaking publicly for the first time since losing George, Ashley, 30, said: “George was born by emergency c-section at 9.24pm.

“I saw him at about 2.30am, which was well over the four hours.

“He was fighting everything and was doing really well.”

Two days later George had a heart scan, and doctors were pleased with his condition.

The couple had been told he had a number of heart defects and his lungs were not growing properly.

At 11 weeks old his organs were put back inside his body.

Mr Jones and his wife Victoria, 25, were told there was an 80 per cent chance he would not survive surgery, but he did.

The couple spent their birthdays and Christmas Day in hospital with George.

Mr Jones said: “As a birthday present, they let us take him out so he had his first car journey.

“We went to Vic’s cousin’s wedding, and went to Costa and George had a fruit cooler.”

However, on February 3 George took a bad turn.

A chest scan showed he was only using 25 per cent of his left lung.

George’s funeral was held on February 27 at St Andrews Church in Halstead.

Mr Jones said: “Over the weekend he was not himself, his kidneys were holding fluids so he was ballooning up.

“He had to be resuscitated five times but he had enough, he was tired.

“George was the biggest flirt going, he was cheeky, stubborn and a fighter.

“We only expected a few at the funeral but the church was packed.

“I carried him in and lowered him down, it was hard.”

Story continues below

Halstead Gazette:

THE PARENTS of miracle baby George are fundraising to thank the charity which supported them.

Sadly George Jones died following a five-month battle with various defects in February.

Victoria and Ashley Jones are raising money for The Sick Children’s

Trust at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where the family stayed.

Mr Jones said: “The biggest support we had was from the Sick Children’s


“Half of the memories we made were because of them and it’s important we get them recognised.

“The money doesn’t come close to what they actually do.”

A total of £300 was also raised for the trust at George’s funeral.

A barn dance is being held on April 8 to raise money for the charity.

It will be held at the Venture Centre 2000 in Bromley Road, Lawford, from 7.30pm until 11.30pm.

To book tickets call 01206 396055.

Mr Jones is also taking part in a 66 mile walk around the Isle of Wight on

April 29 and 30.

Money raised will go to Chestnut House as part of the Sick Children’s Trust.

It is where he stayed when George was in hospital.

He said: “We were only two minutes away from him, not an hour drive.

“We were only that close due to the Sick Children’s Trust giving us a room.

“It is important to other families that they have this in times of need.”

He said because of the room which was on site he was able to be close to

the two people that needed him.

To donate visit