Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HG to 80360, or email us Click here for more details »
Hundreds of pupils may be hit by NUT teacher strikes
5:00pm Friday 21st March 2014 in News
Hundreds of pupils may be unable to attend school as teachers prepare to walk out during Wednesday.
Both Ramsey Academy, in Colne Road, and Hedingham School, in Yeldham Road, are set to close to Years Seven to Ten but will be open for their Year 11 pupils.
The national strike on Wednesday is being organised by the National Union of Teachers and members are set to walk out over disputes over excessive workloads, performance related pay and pension changes.
Ramsey Academy headteacher Dan Gee confirmed that the school would open only to Year 11 pupils.
He said: “Our priority has been to ensure that students in exam classes are affected as little as possible and we have tried to time the decision so that we can at least provide parents with a weeks notice of any potential disruption.”
A letter sent to parents on this week and posted on the school’s website said the school anticipated up to seventeen teachers may be taking action.
It read: “We have taken this decision on the grounds of health and safety and the extent of the likely disruption to the normal curriculum.”
Hedingham headteacher John Panayi was unavailable for comment but a letter to parents and posted on the school’s website confirmed that the school had a significant number of NUT members on their staff and that “as the health and safety of all students, visitors and staff is a prime consideration, and it is not possible to offer a viable learning programme on that day, I have decided to close the school to all students with the exception of Year 11.”
At the time of going to press, Halstead’s three primary schools are set to be unaffected.
Schools who currently believe they will be unaffected:
- Richard de Clare Primary School.
- St Andrews, in Mathews Close.
- Holy Trinity, in Beridge Road.
- St. Margaret's Preparatory School, in Gosfield Hall Park, Gosfield.
- St Margaret's Primary School, in Church Lane, Toppesfield.
- De Vere Primary School, in Kirby Hall Road, Castle Hedingham.
- Colne Engaine School, Green Farm Road, Colne Engaine.
- Bulmer St Andrews, Church Road, Bulmer.
- St Giles Primary School, in Church Street, Great Maplestead.
- Gosfield Primary School, The Street, Gosfield.
- Ramsey Academy, Colne Road, will close to pupils in Years Seven to Ten but will remain open for Year 11 pupils.
- Hedingham School, in Yeldham Road, Sible Hedingham will close to pupils in Years Seven to Ten but will remain open for Year 11 pupils until 1.50pm for them to complete mock exams.
- St Peters, in School Road, Sible Hedingham
- Gosfield School, in Halstead Road, Gosfield
- St Andrew’s Primary School in Church Rd, Great Yeldham.
Refused to comment
- Belchamp St Paul Primary School, in Vicarage Road
- Earls Colne Primary School, in Park Lane
Comments are closed on this article.