Childcare costs still a huge concern despite budget help

Halstead Gazette: Childcare costs still a huge concern despite budget help Childcare costs still a huge concern despite budget help

Parents are getting priced out of childcare, according to a new report.

The Family and Childcare Trust’s annual childcare costs report shows, for a family of two children, the cost for one child in part-time nursery care and one in an after school club is £7,549 a year.

This compares to the average UK mortgage cost of £7,207.

The cost for the same family needing full-time childcare would amount to £11,700 a year, 62 per cent higher than the average UK mortgage.

In a bid to address the imbalance, the government has announced 1.9 million working families will get the chance to benefit from a childcare subsidy worth up to £2,000 per child.

The scheme, announced ahead of last week’s Budget, will come in from next September and see parents paying 80 per cent of childcare costs up to £10,000 per child to a registered provider get the remaining 20 per cent tax-free.

But critics such as childminder Kimberley Jackson, of Saxon Close, Halstead, believe it doesn’t go far enough.

See the Gazette for the full report

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree