UPDATED: Hail storm causes A120 crashes

Halstead Gazette: Hail storm causes A120 crashes (Picture: Keith Windard) Hail storm causes A120 crashes (Picture: Keith Windard)

A freak hail shower has led to 13 cars being involved in accidents on the A120.

Police officers have been called to a series of incidents between Braintree and Great Dunmow since 2.30pm.

An Essex Police spokesman said: "At this time there doesn't appear to be any serious injuries."

Two police patrol cars are among those which have crashed.

The East of England Ambulance Service has confirmed it has two ambulances on the scene.

One person was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Writing on Twitter, Witham resident Keith Windard said: "Don't know how many cars exactly but around nine with the police car.

"Looks like the weather was to blame. Hail was bad, like a sheet of ice.

"I can have only been a minute or two behind from when it happened. Lots of other emergency services were driving from Braintree to the accident."

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:23pm Mon 3 Mar 14

Caber1984 says...

Tiny bit of weather and everyone crashes! If it starts hailing, try slowing down a bit...
Tiny bit of weather and everyone crashes! If it starts hailing, try slowing down a bit... Caber1984
  • Score: 24

4:53pm Mon 3 Mar 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

That's two police cars taken by the A120 in the last few weeks. Such a dangerous road! Or was it just poor driving?
That's two police cars taken by the A120 in the last few weeks. Such a dangerous road! Or was it just poor driving? Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: 17

7:32pm Mon 3 Mar 14

RMOFHT says...

Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything
Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything RMOFHT
  • Score: -10

9:15pm Mon 3 Mar 14

999monkey999 says...

RMOFHT wrote:
Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything
It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.
[quote][p][bold]RMOFHT[/bold] wrote: Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything[/p][/quote]It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school. 999monkey999
  • Score: 20

11:00pm Mon 3 Mar 14

venturoboy says...

I've been on that stretch of road when it suddenly started tipping it down, and visibility is so poor, wipers unable to keep up... Slowing down is not always the answer as if you slow more than the person behind you that cannot see you thats asking for trouble too - there is no perfect solution... Obviously its best to slow but some idiots just hit the brakes and end up causing accidents.
I've been on that stretch of road when it suddenly started tipping it down, and visibility is so poor, wipers unable to keep up... Slowing down is not always the answer as if you slow more than the person behind you that cannot see you thats asking for trouble too - there is no perfect solution... Obviously its best to slow but some idiots just hit the brakes and end up causing accidents. venturoboy
  • Score: -1

8:39am Tue 4 Mar 14

No! I am Spartacus says...

I was driving in that yesterday and, as ever, the regular problem is moron drivers that believe they have the stopping distance of a snail... whatever the weather. The amount of amoebas that tailgate on the A120 and A12 is astounding.

As a comment to 'Venturoboy', I tend to think slowing down IS the answer- you can't control other idiot drivers but only a lack of common sense allows you to continue driving at a speed where you can't be sure what is in front of you.
I was driving in that yesterday and, as ever, the regular problem is moron drivers that believe they have the stopping distance of a snail... whatever the weather. The amount of amoebas that tailgate on the A120 and A12 is astounding. As a comment to 'Venturoboy', I tend to think slowing down IS the answer- you can't control other idiot drivers but only a lack of common sense allows you to continue driving at a speed where you can't be sure what is in front of you. No! I am Spartacus
  • Score: 9

12:12pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Bhudeeka says...

It was not a tiny bit of weather! it was very scary and possibly dangerous so stop belittling events that happen in this country they are just as important as anywhere els
It was not a tiny bit of weather! it was very scary and possibly dangerous so stop belittling events that happen in this country they are just as important as anywhere els Bhudeeka
  • Score: -7

4:14pm Tue 4 Mar 14

venturoboy says...

Gradually slowing is the answer.... not 'oh no i can't see lets emergency stop'.
Gradually slowing is the answer.... not 'oh no i can't see lets emergency stop'. venturoboy
  • Score: -1

5:25pm Tue 4 Mar 14

romantic says...

No! I am Spartacus wrote:
I was driving in that yesterday and, as ever, the regular problem is moron drivers that believe they have the stopping distance of a snail... whatever the weather. The amount of amoebas that tailgate on the A120 and A12 is astounding.

As a comment to 'Venturoboy', I tend to think slowing down IS the answer- you can't control other idiot drivers but only a lack of common sense allows you to continue driving at a speed where you can't be sure what is in front of you.
Agree with you fully. The A12 can be a conveyor belt of cars all way too close together, even when visibility is terrible. People do not drive to the conditions and don't leave enough space to the car in front. Simple as that. If you hit somebody from behind, it is your fault, even if they slow down suddenly. You might feel they are idiots, but I've always assumed other drivers are idiots anyway. Sometimes they prove me wrong!
[quote][p][bold]No! I am Spartacus[/bold] wrote: I was driving in that yesterday and, as ever, the regular problem is moron drivers that believe they have the stopping distance of a snail... whatever the weather. The amount of amoebas that tailgate on the A120 and A12 is astounding. As a comment to 'Venturoboy', I tend to think slowing down IS the answer- you can't control other idiot drivers but only a lack of common sense allows you to continue driving at a speed where you can't be sure what is in front of you.[/p][/quote]Agree with you fully. The A12 can be a conveyor belt of cars all way too close together, even when visibility is terrible. People do not drive to the conditions and don't leave enough space to the car in front. Simple as that. If you hit somebody from behind, it is your fault, even if they slow down suddenly. You might feel they are idiots, but I've always assumed other drivers are idiots anyway. Sometimes they prove me wrong! romantic
  • Score: 2

7:23pm Tue 4 Mar 14

mirokou says...

999monkey999 wrote:
RMOFHT wrote:
Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything
It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.
I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me
[quote][p][bold]999monkey999[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RMOFHT[/bold] wrote: Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything[/p][/quote]It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.[/p][/quote]I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me mirokou
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Thu 6 Mar 14

RMOFHT says...

mirokou wrote:
999monkey999 wrote:
RMOFHT wrote:
Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything
It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.
I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me
Fact I'm not English Sei arrapato see if you can translate cretino!
[quote][p][bold]mirokou[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]999monkey999[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RMOFHT[/bold] wrote: Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything[/p][/quote]It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.[/p][/quote]I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me[/p][/quote]Fact I'm not English Sei arrapato see if you can translate cretino! RMOFHT
  • Score: 1

5:39pm Thu 6 Mar 14

/@|_|@\ says...

RMOFHT wrote:
mirokou wrote:
999monkey999 wrote:
RMOFHT wrote:
Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything
It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.
I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me
Fact I'm not English Sei arrapato see if you can translate cretino!
Like THAT makes any sense. How about you ottenere la testa dal tuo culo, zoccoli intelligenti!! LOL
[quote][p][bold]RMOFHT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mirokou[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]999monkey999[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RMOFHT[/bold] wrote: Police thinks they are high training skills driver but it seem they not learning anything[/p][/quote]It would appear you didn't learn basic English at school.[/p][/quote]I put this through Google Translate , apparently it is unable to translate. oh well, backs to skool fur me[/p][/quote]Fact I'm not English Sei arrapato see if you can translate cretino![/p][/quote]Like THAT makes any sense. How about you ottenere la testa dal tuo culo, zoccoli intelligenti!! LOL /@|_|@\
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree