Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HG to 80360, or email us Click here for more details »
Braintree: Council issues advice to get gas appliances checked
2:00pm Tuesday 8th October 2013 in News
Braintree Council is reminding residents to ensure their gas appliances are correctly fitted and regularly checked.
Every year about 14 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly installed or maintained.
Many others also suffer ill health.
As such the council is supporting the Gas Safe Register in sharing their advice on ensuring safety in the home.
Councillor Wendy Schmitt, cabinet member responsible for environmental health, said: “With winter around the corner, and people switching their central heating on, now is the time to get your appliances checked to ensure they are working properly, and to get a carbon monoxide alarm if you don’t have one.
“The Gas Safe Register offers a range of information, and can put you in touch with gas safe registered businesses in the local area.”
If you smell gas, or suspect there is a gas escape or a carbon monoxide leak, you should immediately:
* Open all doors and windows.
* Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is). If gas continues to escape call National Grid on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999.
* Make sure that any investigations or repairs are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Gas consumers are advised to have appliances checked for safety at least every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
For more information visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.
Comments are closed on this article.