Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting HG to 80360, or email us Click here for more details »
Halstead: Vet's fears after eight cats poisoned
5:00pm Saturday 2nd February 2013 in News
A vet is warning pet owners after a eight cats were poisoned in the past month.
Five cats died of suspected anti-freeze poisoning in Windmill Lane, Halstead, at Christmas and another three from River Close have been brought into Whitehouse Veterinary Surgery since Monday.
Anna Butler, who has worked at the White Ash Green practice for almost four years, fears other cats could be harmed.
She said: “I don’t know whether it is deliberate or not but I am a little bit suspicious.
“It is happening over a very concentrated area and a number of cats have gone down with it.
“I am just trying to make people aware."
She added that other pets and wildlife can also be affected by anti-freeze, which attracts animals by its sweet taste-although some brands use chemicals to combat this.
It can also be found in screenwash and Ms Butler advised to thoroughly clean any spills no matter how small, keep it in a safe place and dispose of it responsibly.
She added: “My advice to cat owners would be to keep them in at night as that is when they tend to roam further.”
Early symptoms include wobbling, vomiting, lethargy and depression, and if shown a cat should be taken to the vets straight away.
Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 the maximum penalty for anyone found guilty poisoning cats is up to six months imprisonment and or a fine of £20,000
See The Halstead Gazette for the full story.